- Full Time
- Gainesville, FL, US
Website U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System is seeking a full-time Physician Assistant who is Board Certified or Board Eligible in Psychiatry. The PA will be assigned to work at the Jacksonville VAMC in the outpatient clinic setting in multidisciplinary care settings. PA’s works closely with Psychiatrists and colleagues to provide outpatient mental health care.
- Conduct initial psychiatric evaluations, including initial assessment interviews, history and physical exams; lab, imaging, medication and psychotherapy consultation orders, aftercare plans and follow up visits.
- Perform examinations and screening scales (such as AIMS, MoCA, HAM-D) and similar non-invasive examinations specific to the ongoing care of psychiatric patients
- Provide mental health education /counseling and brief therapy of patients and their families.
- Works closely with the nursing staff in maintaining the optimal care of the patients.
- Supports the Homeless Veterans Program, the Substance Abuse Program as well as assist with the Inpatient Mental Health Inpatient Unit when their Lead is not present.
- Provide appropriate follow up care including reassessments of diagnoses and conditions, medication adjustments, and any further tests or consults indicated.
- Coordinate the care provided in the and the coordination of patients assigned to the midlevel providers under the guidance of the Chief of Psychiatry.
- Collaborates with Physicians and other providers for the physical examination and management of medical conditions of the inpatients.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining daily, weekly, monthly, coverage coordination of Outpatient Clinical areas for their respective teams, under the supervision and approval of the Chief of Psychiatry or Chief of Mental Health.
- Responsible for all aspects of Psychiatric care within the Outpatient and Inpatient environment; this includes Mental Health and Behavioral Science Service currently operates multiple programs to include the Outpatient Mental Health Clinic, Substance Abuse Clinic, PTSD Clinic, Mental Health Intensive Case Management program, and Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Program; mental health and medical care is also provided to Veterans admitted to the 3-C Inpatient Psychiatric Unit.
- Conduct ongoing follow up appointments for stable patients, including regular refills of medications, required lab and other tests and documenting progress.
- Attends all morning reports, huddles and administrative meetings regarding flow and Operations of the Outpatient Clinical Areas.
- Reports directly to the Chief of Psychiatry Section or in their absence the Chief, Mental Health Services.
- Primary responsibility for care of patients when the clinic medical director is absent.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
Company: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Others
Job Location: Gainesville, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A