Website U.S. Forest Service
This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates applications are due for these locations can be found on theForest Service website.
- Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-07 level.
- Supervise a group of employees performing work at lower grade levels. Provide administrative and technical supervision necessary for accomplishing the work of the unit.
- Perform the administrative and human resource management functions relative to the staff supervised.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the fire engine module, prepares schedules and work plans, and sets work priorities. Supervises operation of fire engine module in responding to wildland fires.
- Make initial evaluation of fire situation, determines suppression method to use including hose lays, deployment of crew, point of initial attack, type of tools to use, and application of water, and hand line location and standards.
- Keep dispatcher or superior informed and requests additional assistance as necessary. Maintains records and prepares reports on crew hours and movement and history of action taken on fires.
- The incumbent is responsible for furthering the goals of equal employment opportunity (EEO) by taking positive steps to assure the accomplishment of affirmative action objectives and by adhering to nondiscriminatory employment practices.
- Serve as initial attack Incident Commander on wildland fires, and wildland urban interface/intermix situations occurring on the unit.
- In addition to fire suppression and prescribed burn responsibilities, these positions respond to such incidents as: search and rescue incidents, victim recoveries, automobile accidents, hazardous materials incidents, and other responses.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- This is a Test Designated Position. You will be tested for illegal drugs prior to appointment and randomly thereafter. Appointment and continued employment is conditional on negative results.
- Must pass the Work Capacity Test for certain Interagency Fire Program Management or Fire Program Management positions.
- Subject to one year supervisory/managerial probationary period unless prior service is creditable. New USDA supervisors must successfully complete all components of the required training program before the end of their probationary period.
Qualification & Experience:
- GS-06: Applicants are required to have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level (GS-5). Examples of specialized experience include: Evaluated initial fire situations to determine suppression method to use, hose lays, deployment of crew, point of initial attack, type of tools to use, and application of water.
- One full year (18 semester/27 quarter hours) of successfully completed graduate level coursework that is directly related to the work of the position (such as forestry, range management, agriculture);
- A combination of graduate level education that is directly related to the position and specialized experience. The education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university.
Company: U.S. Forest Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Others
Job Location: Hagerstown, MD, US
Application Deadline: N/A