Website City of Atlanta
Operates truck, complex construction equipment and other light-to-heavy equipment for an assigned department in a safe and effective manner with a valid Georgia’s Commercial Driver’s License with Class A endorsement as appropriate to equipment operated. Duties include, but are not limited to; operating vehicles, machines, performing repairs, inspecting grounds, providing training and preparing necessary documentation. This is a fully seasoned skilled level capable of independently carrying out most assignments typical of the discipline. This level would be attainable by multiple incumbents in a work group (not necessarily by all), but would not be an “automatic” promotional level. Operates trucks, complex construction equipment and other light-to-heavy equipment in order to complete assignments.
- Leadership Provided Typically, none; may oversee temporary or contract workers, as needed.
- Ensures that the required tools and equipment are available to perform assigned tasks.
- These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive.
- Acts in place of supervisor in his/her absence.
- Effectively communicates with supervisor to receive instructions and advice regarding the completion of job assignments.
- Uses two-way radio to communicate with base station, employees and supervisors Uses hand tools to perform minor maintenance on equipment in order to prevent equipment damage.
- Plans and organizes daily work routine; implements work activity in accordance with priorities and estimates schedules.
- Decision Making Works under general supervision.
- May oversee the activities of crews when performing duties.
- Trains other equipment operators as assigned.
- Gives instructions to crew members to ensure the completions of tasks and assignments.
- Depending on the objective, may work within team or independently with responsibility for an assigned task or project.
- Effectively communicates with other employees to complete assignments while maintaining high standards of accuracy.
- Follows standardized procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Exercises immediate remedial action to correct any quality deficiencies that occur in areas of responsibility.
- Effectively communicates with the public concerning specific projects and tasks in response to questions and inquiries.
- Reviews and signs documents such as, work orders, service request forms, attendance records, daily or weekly work reports, invoices, employee records, and preventive maintenance records necessary for scheduled maintenance or warranties.
- This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully.
- Ability to physically operate a variety of job related machines at level requirements for active work.
- Ability to inspect items for proper length, width, and shape.
- Ability to perform physical labor as well as move or carry related objects or materials.
- Ability to use simple mathematical formulas; add and subtract; multiply and divide; determine percentages; and determine or interpret time and weight.
- Ability to be adaptable to performing under minimal stress when confronted.
- Skill in operating vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Ability to learn and understand subject matter principles and techniques.
- Ability to interact with people beyond giving the receiving instructions.
- Ability to effectively use written and verbal communication to convey or exchange professional information.
- It is not an exhaustive list.
- Ability to differentiate colors and shades of color.
- Knowledge of the safe operating procedures for heavy and medium duty equipment operated.
- Ability to coordinate body members in using job related equipment.
- Knowledge of first line maintenance to be performed by operators of the equipment operated.
- Ability to acquire and expound on knowledge of topic related to primary occupation.
- Ability to make independent judgments in absence of supervision.
Qualification & Experience:
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- 3 years of experience in the operation of light to heavy-sized commercial vehicles; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Company: City of Atlanta
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Druid Hills, GA, US
Application Deadline: N/A