Website California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
Under general supervision, to operate fire apparatus during wildland and structural fire-fighting operations; to lead an assigned crew in the performance of fire-fighting duties; to maintain and make minor repairs on vehicles, equipment, and the fire stations; to perform fire prevention tasks; may perform paramedic duties; and to do other related work.
Drives and operates a fire apparatus such as pumper, water tank, or rescue trucks in connection with extinguishing wildland, structural, and other fires, and in fire prevention and rescue work; leads a crew; performs paramedic duties; performs maintenance and simple repairs on equipment; makes reports on the operation of equipment; uses maps; operates two-way radio as necessary; may act as fire captain relief; assists in training crews to fight fire efficiently and safely; checks, cleans, and polishes trucks; does general station maintenance and repair work; especially during non-fire season; assists in building roads, trails, telephone lines, and minor structures; as a learner, may operate other heavy equipment when required; makes fire law inspections; investigates fire causes; prepares and presents fire prevention programs to the public; keeps records and prepares reports.
- Knowledge of: Fire fighting methods and equipment and operation of fire apparatus; repair and upkeep of fire apparatus and auxiliary equipment; California Vehicle Code as it applies to the operation of trucks and emergency vehicles on the highways.
- Ability to: Read and write English at a level required for successful job performance; learn to drive a fire truck safely on mountain roads, narrow streets, highways, and freeways and operate other equipment as required; learn and apply to specific situations, rules, regulations, and departmental procedures; lead a fire- fighting crew; follow written and oral instructions; analyze situations accurately and take effective action; maintain cooperative relationships with other organizations and agencies, and individuals in a work situation; write legibly; exercise good judgment in hazardous fire suppression activity.
Qualification & Experience:
- Two years of experience as a certified volunteer firefighter. (Candidates who are within two months of satisfying the experience requirement under Pattern I above for this class will be admitted to the examination, but they must fully meet the experience requirement before being eligible for appointment.)
- Experience: Either I Eight months of fire-fighting experience.
- Enrollment in the California Fire Fighter Joint Apprenticeship Committee Preapprenticeship Outreach Program. and
- Three months’ fire-fighting experience until December 31, 1983; six months’ fire-fighting experience until December 31, 1984; or eight months’ fire-fighting experience thereafter.
- Two years of experience as a Fire Prevention Specialist II and successful completion of the mandatory training courses prescribed for a Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Fire Fighter I.
Company: California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Modesto, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A