Website California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
This series specification describes three Environmental Scientist and three Environmental Program Manager classifications used to perform a broad range of staff, supervisor, and management work concerning present and future environmental, environmental health, and natural resource management issues related to protecting California’s natural resources, agricultural productivity, and public health.
- This class is the entry, intermediate working, and journey level of the series. Range A is the entry and first working level of the class. Under close supervision, incumbents perform a variety of the less difficult and responsible professional scientific office and field work.
- In accordance with detailed instructions and specific standards, incumbents gather data on public health, environmental, agricultural productivity, and natural resource management issues; perform preliminary environmental analysis, research, surveys, investigations, and studies of less difficulty; prepare preliminary drafts of reports; prepare drafts of routine correspondence; answer questions of a routine and minor nature from the public; prepare regulatory and compliance documents; and do other related work. Work at this level is characterized by a reliance on detailed instructions and assistance from lead persons and supervisors in the application of proven techniques and methodologies to assigned work.
- Knowledge of: Basic principles of land, water, fish, wildlife, and other natural resources research; principles of ecology; soil and irrigation sciences, resource management, hydrology, geology, and waste prevention; statistical methods; land-use practices with reference to their general effect on human health, natural resources, agricultural productivity, and the environment; effects of hazardous and non-hazardous waste material and their interactions on the environment; chemical reactions; California and Federal environmental laws, rules, regulations, and requirements; basic toxicology, hydrology, geology, and principles of risk assessment and risk management; concepts employed in a variety of disciplines including environmental planning, economics, and resource management; geolocation and geo-referencing software applications, resource conservation program impacts and implementation strategies; and recycling issues.
- Ability to: Apply or modify scientific methods and principles; collect environmental data; analyze and evaluate data and reach sound conclusions; review, check, and interpret scientific and environmental reports; analyze situations and take appropriate actions; establish and maintain cooperative relations with all persons contacted; communicate effectively; prepare clear, complete, and technically accurate reports; apply laws, rules, regulations, policies, and requirements of California and Federal environmental protection and resource management programs; assess the impact of proposed State and Federal environmental legislation and regulations; understand principles of risk assessment and risk management; work with professionals from a variety of disciplines within and outside of State government; and review and understand technical research reports on emerging public health and environmental issues.
Qualification & Experience:
- Education: Possession of a bachelor’s or advanced degree with a major in a biological, chemical, physical, or environmental science, soil science, water science, hydrology, agronomy, natural resource science, environmental or public health, physical geography, or a closely related scientific discipline. (Admission to a masters or doctoral degree program in a biological, chemical, physical, or environmental science, soil science, water science, hydrology, agronomy, natural resource science, environmental or public health, physical geography, or a closely related scientific discipline shall be considered to meet these education qualifications.)
Company: California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Stockton, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A